Our Modeling Technicians, Will and Andres, designed two simple module-sized boards using the Metamorphosys tools to test basic functions. Will made an Audio VU Meter and Andres made a Temperature Sensor. You may have read about Andres' experience designing the temperature sensor.
Getting the Boards Built and Assembled
After they picked their components, drew their schematics, and applied layout constraints, they got the boards built by OSH Park, and the parts assembled on the board by Small Batch Assembly.
The boards came back from SBA looking good!
Testing the Boards
Then, we put them to the test. We powered them up, and both boards passed the smoke test.
Testing the Temperature Sensor
The temperature sensor design has a sensor that converts temperature to analog voltage. As we applied hot air to the sensor, the LED's lit up in a specific order, and then as we put a cold spoon next to it, they went back down. It was a success!
Testing the Audio vu meter
Will was not so lucky with his prototype. It powered on, but when the Op Amp detected noise, the LEDs were supposed to light up. Will was clapping his hands, but no LEDs were lighting up. As he investigated the issue, he found that he made a mistake with his design in the Metamorphosys tools by mixing up a V+ and V- connection on the Op Amp.
Although the design didn't work, mistakes like this are helping us figure out ways to protect users from making the same mistakes.