We're using the OpenMeta Tools to revolutionize the
design process for renewable energy sources.
Multidisciplinary design of composite structures
- Wind Turbine Blade Design
- Domain-specific design tool that guides the user through the design process, incrementally exposing new levels of analysis and requesting additional detail the design matures.
- MetaMorph Tools provided the modular framework for the combined analysis of structural, manufacturing, and financial objectives and constraints
- Leverages commercial and open source analysis tools:
- XFOIL: design and analysis of subsonic airfoils.
- Composite design & analysis tools
- Finite Element Analysis tools (NASTRAN/PATRAN)
Since their introduction in the first half of the 20th century, composite materials have shown great promise for reducing weight and increasing performance of a variety of structures. Several factors have limited their growth, from high materials costs and poorly understood failure mechanisms to labor intensive manufacturing methods and a lack of experienced designers.
Working with Green Dynamics, MetaMorph developed an integrated composite structures assessment tool (BladeMDA) that allows designers to reduce the cost of wind power by enabling the on-site construction of the next generation of large wind turbine blades. By integrating several industry-leading design and analysis tools, along with various open source and private partner analysis tools into the OpenMETA framework, we were able to help Green Dynamics develop a design tool that empowers engineers to address a progression of critical design assessments, from statics and dynamics to cost, performance and manufacturability.